Sunday, October 17, 2010

Stars Above and Below


So, do you guys remember watching the Lion King as a little kid? And remember when they are all laying under the stars looking up and talking about past kings living in the stars above . . . Have you ever looked up at the stars and wonder if your love ones up there?

Well as some of you might know, I love going running at night. I find it very relaxing to just run at with my music and the stars above. Often as I run I think about things, mostly whatever pops into my head. Looking at the stars one night I can remember thinking about where we go when we die, and I wondered could it possibly be to the stars. For each person the stars represent something different, but for me they represent comfort, love and family.
In class the other day we discussed a bit about what souls were and we took a vote of who would choose to save their soul, body, or mind. Which then led to the discussion of what is a “soul”. You can’t see it or touch it, so is it really there? I think that yes we do all have souls. Souls are like faith, love, the wind. You can’t see it but it is there tying everything together. The soul explains why we think the way we do, have the emotions that we do, and believe what we do, along with many other things.
So when we die where does our soul go. Our mind stops working, our bodies decompose, well maybe our souls go to the night sky. You never know, anything is possible.

Silently, one by one, in the infinite meadows of heaven,
Blossomed the lovely stars, the forget-me-nots of the angels.
~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Evangeline

1 comment:

  1. I think this post gives Pullman even more credit for invention of Dust. Joy thinks that the sole is intangible, and Pullman creates a tangible soul in his books through Dust. These two opposing lines of thought that come together in one of Joy's statements, "Souls are like faith, love, the wind. You can’t see it but it is there tying everything together." I think Pullman was very careful with his wording referring to Dust as dark matter, a scientific theoretical substance that holds galaxies together.

    I'm glad I read this post because it gave me something to think about.

    To be perfectly honest, the only reason I decided to read this post in the first place is because the picture reminded me of this part in the Lion King:
    http://www.snopes.com/disney/films/lionking.asp#add
    I guess what you can find in the stars is exactly what you make of it.

    ReplyDelete