Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Fishes of the Western North Atlantic.

Well I was going write about what daemon I think I would have but that turned out to be too difficult as I've never really concerned myself with figuring out who I am, hmmm, perhaps that's also the reason I'm a general studies major. Well any who, now that I've just told you useless information to the rest of this piece how about that Pullman guy. What's he all about? (Don't tell me I don't actually care).

I thought his series started out great. The first book, amazing! I thought it was going to be the best series I've ever read. Then I got to the subtle knife. Another great book, not as good as the first but still great nonetheless. For me it went a little south once they introduce Will, not a bad character but I thought it was better when Lyra was doing her own thing with the help of many other great characters.

Then came The Amber Spyglass. Not the worst book I've ever read, by any means, but indeed in my opinion the worst one of the series, almost doing as much damage to the series as a whole as the last battle did to The Chronicles of Narnia. Not only was the Amber Spyglass filled with unnecessary annoying parts such as the priest with sniper rifle and those damn deer. But the attributes in the series that kept me reading such as dust and the upcoming war (which was such a let down) against the church and whatever cult Lyra's father was running, were merely tossed aside to make room for those friggin' deer and their swan troubles and the land of the dead.
Now my memory has faded a bit since reading this last book so I'm sure that I'm missing several other annoying aspects, but on the whole I thought it was an alright book and a pretty good series.

No comments:

Post a Comment