Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Epic blog post

One thing that I absolutely loved about The Amber Spyglass was what happened to people after they died (post Land of the Dead). I was told that this would set me apart from most people on this planet, because apparently most people want an afterlife. Well I have some cons about the afterlife!

Let me start with reincarnation. I don’t understand why anyone would want another life for a couple reasons. First of all, the world is only going to get worse. The world will be more and more overpopulated and we’ll need cities everywhere in order to sustain life. We’ll clear nature in order for resources and this will lead to no wildlife! The only wildlife you’ll see will be in zoos. Sure, technology might be cooler and I for one would love to see new scientific discoveries that explain more and more about the universe that we love, but not in a world with no wildlife!

There’s not much wrong with Heaven, Narnia, or the Elysian Fields except that it might be boring…but those afterlives are only if you are “good”. The alternative- Hell or Tartarus is even worse than life!

Being one with the universe like in The Amber Spyglass is pretty much what Nirvana is which is where reincarnation would lead you anyway. So…in this scenario you could just skip the fact of living many sucky lives and reach total peace!

1 comment:

  1. I feel the same way; I would much rather become a part of everything than be banished to eternal hell, or start all over again in an even worse place!

    ReplyDelete