Thursday, October 14, 2010

Souls are like Dust Bunnies

Nothing major, nothing thought about, just there sitting under your bed....or somewhere in your mass of organs and goo. Unless you're a clean freak, then you probably think about them all the time.

I personally don't really believe in "the soul." It's a nice thought, having something that can continue to go on after you rot out of existence, but I think we really just try to find ways to make us feel better about death. I've accepted that once I die I'm gone, there will be no more anything, and when that happens I won't care because I won't be there; I won't be anything.

There are some people that will never accept that, or have that "unfinished business" they talk about in Casper. I am a believer in ghosts, which may sound contradictory to my past statement of not believing in souls, but I don't think ghosts are souls because in my mind souls don't exist! So what are ghosts? Maybe they're memories and minds left behind? But who really knows.

Either way, it is in my opinion that there is no great something more lodged somewhere between my liver and kidney that will one day explode from my body as a little ball of shimmering light.

On that optimistic note, live long and prosper!

2 comments: