Thursday, October 14, 2010

HOME!

I just want to start this blog by saying that the only reason I titled this blog home is because while I write this blog post I am listening to the song Home by Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeros.

Have you ever heard about something for the first time ever and had, what you thought, was a really good first discussion about it? Then you find that ever since you first heard about this one thing you hear about it all the time, or it keeps coming up in conversation, or you read about it? Well if you have had that experience then you will know exactly what I'm going to talk about then.

A few weeks ago in this class we discussed Gaia and the concept of Gaia. For me this was the first time I had ever heard of Gaia and had ever had a conversation about it. I thought the idea of Gaia was so intriguing and interesting. At the time I really didn't want to stop talking about Gaia because I wanted to learn more, but I knew that it wasn't practical to spend the entire class period talking about it because we have to get through a lot of stuff throughout this semester. With the end of that class came the end of the Gaia discussion and I thought that maybe there would be an opportunity later on in the semester to talk about it more and if we didn't talk about it later on I would just have to suffice with the amount of time we did spend on it. I basically thought it was the end for Gaia. I was wrong.
I started reading a book called The Weather Makers by Tim Flannery. Its an incredible book if your looking to read more about climate change and our effect as humans on the earth. Tim does such an amazing job at explaining all the science behind climate change for people like me to understand. He also does an amazing job at explaining what we're doing to the earth and how it changes it. One of the ways that he does this is by talking about GAIA! I was so ecstatic when I was reading and I came upon the section where he talks about Gaia. It also surprised me that for 21 years I hadn't ever heard of Gaia or the idea behind it and in 1 month I heard about it twice. I don't know it just got me excited.

Unfortunately at this present time I can't tell y'all exactly how I feel about Gaia and the idea of Gaia because I'm still learning about it and still forming thoughts on it. All I know now is that its very interesting to me and I will continue to put lots of thoughts to how I feel about it.

gaia.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment