Tuesday, November 30, 2010

HARRY POTTER!

So on Sunday night I got to go see the New Harry Potter movie with a group of my friends. Now ever since the third HP movie I have not been impressed with the movie adaptions. I just think they have done a terrible job with them and I hadn't seen a HP movie in theaters in years. I was a little skeptical because I had thought that movies didn't pay enough tribute to the books. I want to explain a little bit about why I love the HP series so much. I bet most of us have a book or a series of books that really launched our interest in reading. If you think about it a lot you can probably remember what that book is. For me that book/book series is HP so I have this deep connection to the books because they are the reason I read.

HP was definitely not the first book I had ever read cover to cover, but it was the first that I had read where I couldn't out it down. It instantly grab me and pulled me in. Regardless of whether or not J.K. Rowling is a good author or not, she had this way of making me fall into this completely different world. I could pick up HP and completely disappear. Now as a 8 year old, I just thought it was cool to go to the world of Hogwarts and HP, but as I got older it was a great escape.

A lot of people say that J.K. Rowling borrowed a lot of her material from other books and the Bible, but I think those people are just searching for that. I really believe that there's almost no way now for an author to write a book without it being compared to another book that has been written before. Think about it throughout history/herstory there have been thousands even millions of books written. So somewhere down the line there has to be a book written now that has some resemblance of a book previously written.

I don't know if that makes since at all, but HP is kind of the reason I read in the sense that it made me want to read books.



No comments:

Post a Comment