Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Who, what, where, when, why?

There are many different themes and ideas in philosophy, but I find one to particularly interesting. The thought of being alive in general is questionable.

There are two main theories as to why we exist. One being the more reasonable explanation of evolution. The other being the Christian view of creation. There are also many other explanations but I think those are the two most talked about and recognized in society today. Personally I prefer the evolution point of view, since I am not religious. But the other one could be just as likely I suppose to those who believe in it. But where I'm going with this is how do we know we are actually real? We could be just someones or somethings thought or dream or who knows what. Just because we can propose theories and come up with explanations of things doesn't make them actually real. However, even if that is the case I guess we would still be real?

It's like what we talked about in class with the different frames. If we all think something to be true then it is, or if we see it then it must be true. But what happens when someone says that they see ghosts or they can talk to God or something? We think they are crazy, but maybe they are right and everyone else is wrong because we cant see or hear what they do. We question so many things on a daily basis so how do we know what is actually real or not?

As for the belief in creation, its totally possible that we were created by someone or something of a higher power. Its almost more convincing than evolution. We could have been created purely for the use of some God or deity, what ever that use or reason is for creating us we shall never know. We can make-up beliefs as to why we are created and why we exist. Maybe we were created on this planet to protect it instead of destroying it? Maybe we were created to answer their own questions about reality and life? I know this is extremely far fetched but that's philosophy for you!

However, I think this quote sums it all up: "I doubt, therefore I think, therefore I am" Rene Descartes. The pure idea that we think and doubt our existence in and of itself proves that we exist.

1 comment: