Monday, September 27, 2010

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I don't know what to write about.
I tried writing about Susan and it just didn't work out for me.
I tried writing about how I am apparently an asshole, but that didn't work out for me either.
So now I will ramble about randomness.

Hmmm wait, maybe I'll talk about taboos and tropes.
This could work I guess.

So what about taboos? Is being gay a taboo? Was being gay considered a taboo? Is being gay in the army a taboo? Why do I always talk about gayness?


The taboos and tropes article we looked at a while ago describes taboos as "dark underbellies". Personally, I don't think being gay today is considered a total "dark underbelly". Back in the day, however, I think it definitely was. Being gay wasn't something that popped up in everyday conversation (I'm not saying that is does a lot today, either), and when it did, it was frowned upon. Why? There are a billion different reasons why, but I'm just gonna stick with the fact that people back then were a lot more narrow minded.

I think a lot of people today are okay and willing to talk about it, but I believe many still hold it as a "taboo". Especially when it comes to the army. I feel like in the army, it's not so much the on-looker, but the gay soldier who holds it as a taboo. They can't talk about it or even mention it without fear of getting kicked out, therefore it's a taboo to them.

Okay, the more I talk about this the more I'm starting to think that maybe being gay still is a taboo in today's society. I mean I do believe that there are a lot more supporters and activists that help break this taboo but on the other hand, there are still those narrow minded people. For example, think of the kid who sits at the dinner table with his conservative parents each day, wanting to tell them that he's gay but he avoids the conversation. He does so because it's a taboo. It's there but nobody wants to talk about it or think about it because it's "wrong".

Was this even about philosophy?! I promise next time I'll talk about something that doesn't involve the word "gay".

pic credit: me

4 comments:

  1. There is indeed the fact of people being Narrow minded, which in most cases that is the problem. But there are also things (hmmm it's difficult to word this) that need to be considered by the general gay loving public, mainly when it comes to the armed forces. This past summer I was in a heated argument with my Boss who is an Iraq war veteran about how gay people should be allowed the same freedoms as every other service man or women. He explained to me that there is a ridiculous amount of behind the scenes shit that goes on. Men and women have separate showers and facilities in order to keep them safe. The stress levels that these people deal with is unimaginable and a lot of the people that are in the armed forces are sketchy as hell to begin with. So with the situation these people are dealing with everyday morals tend to take a back seat, or have been ejected from the vehicle all together. So while men and Women have separate facilities Gay and straight men and women do not. This creates a huge safety problem involving rape and sexual harassment that these people can not escape. when it comes to the don't ask don't tell it's largely so the Gay men and women do not get attacked by some stressed out redneck asshole who dislikes gay people.
    As much as I disliked hearing this it made sense to me, I had not considered what goes down beyond the fighting.
    Things are bound to change for the better but sadly I feel it will take a long time. People are ignorant, we all are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. good point, I guess I never really thought about stuff like that but I'm sure it would happen

    ReplyDelete
  3. As the great GAGA once stated "equality is the prime rib of America, and if you don't like it, go home!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also meant to include that I enjoyed your blog but I was pressed for time. I have 2 gay friends that still have not told their parents or really anyone besides my friends and I for fear of what they will have to deal with. And knowing their parents and the redneck town I live in I can see why they are shy to open up about it. But no doubt have things gotten better and I have great faith that they will continue to get better, I mean hell it was only 145 years ago that we still had slavery.

    ReplyDelete